To bolster the legal defense of digital rights in Latin America
To strengthen the capacities of organizations that focus on strategic litigation and the protection of digital rights in Latin America.
In the region, many examples can be found of the positive impacts that strategic litigation has had on the promotion and defense of human rights, at both the national and international levels. However, in light of the increasing threats to and lack of judicial precedent in digital rights within Latin America, the possibility exists to further coordinate and strengthen the advocacy strategies of organizations in the region by taking advantage of the growing body of research on the topic.
We seek to develop national and international judicial precedents on the protection of digital rights, as well as to interrelate civil society organizations dedicated to their defense.
The project is ongoing and continues to be implemented.
How was this achieved?
• There are greater capacities in the region with regard to the use of strategic litigation as a tool for protecting digital rights.
• There is enhanced coordination between civil society organizations in their strategic use of litigation.
• There is an increasing awareness around the opportunities and challenges posed by various jurisdictions within Latin America in the development of strategic litigation on the protection of digital rights.
• There is a greater understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of undergoing litigation proceedings before the inter-American and global systems for human rights protection.
• There is a stronger possibility at the national and international levels for the origination of judicial precedents that would advance the protection of digital rights in Latin America.