SELECTED PROJECT 2021
Urgent Digital Violence Law
The project seeks to raise awareness about violence in digital spaces, the urgency of approving a bill, and promote public policies to address it in Chile.
Amaranta will develop a communication campaign that enhances the visibility of online gender-based violence and de-normalizes it, and draws attention to the absence of laws and public policies addressing the issue, the need for comprehensive digital literacy, and the importance of a gender perspective and Human Rights in the issue.
Violence in digital spaces has strongly increased in the context of the pandemic, especially affecting women, young people, children and LGBTIQ+ persons. Currently, there are no laws to halt and redress this violence. Amaranta believes that living without violence in digital spaces is a right and that it should be recognized as such in the country’s current process of drafting a new Constitution.
Since there is rapid access to digital spaces, without the involvement of comprehensive digital literacy, more people will be exposed to this violence.
Expected results benefitting the population:
- Raising public awareness about what digital violence is and the lack of laws to address it.
- Greater awareness of the bill of the Digital Violence Law, which will lead to communities demanding its approval and advancement.
- Denormalization of violence in digital spaces.
- Possible approval of the Digital Violence Law.
- Awareness about the topic that allows the promotion of public policies in pursuit of digital rights, and for them to be recognized in the new Constitution.